The changing weather in Doha comes with a lot of throat troubles, and running nose. There’s nothing that can make you feel better than a good hot bowl of soup. There was quiet some broccoli at home and we decided to make soup. This soup turned out to be completely delicious and stomach filling. A good one bowl or two would fill your stomach, and you wouldn’t need to have anything more.
So lets get to the recipe, shall we?
- 9 Tablespoons butter
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 9 Tablespoons gluten-free or regular all purpose flour
- 9 cups vegetable broth
- 6 cups milk (I used almarai fresh milk)
- 5 cups small-chopped fresh broccoli florets
- 24 oz freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for serving
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat then add carrots and shallot, season with salt and pepper, and then saute until carrots are tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in flour then whisk to combine and cook while whisking for 1 minute. Slowly stream in vegetable broth while whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Add milk then season with salt and pepper and then turn heat up to medium-high to bring soup to a simmer. Turn heat down to medium then simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broccoli florets to pot then simmer for 20 more minutes, or until broccoli is tender. Remove pot from heat then add cheese in three batches, stirring until completely smooth before adding the next batch. Taste soup then add salt and pepper if necessary and then ladle into bowls and serve with shredded cheese on top.
- Serve hot.
Everyone really loved it including myself. Are you going to give it a try ? Let me know if you do!
That’s about it for now. Chef Doha signing off, until next time مع السّلامة